I am naming this blog after a line from my favorite poem "Sea Fever" by John Masefield. Nearly all of you know a few lines from it, namely "And all I ask for is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by", but have not read the rest of it.
Sea Fever-John Masefield
I must go down to the seas again
to the lonely sea and sky
And all I ask is a tall ship
and a star to steer her by
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song
and the white sail’s shaking
And a gray mist on the sea’s face,
and a gray dawn breaking.
to the lonely sea and sky
And all I ask is a tall ship
and a star to steer her by
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song
and the white sail’s shaking
And a gray mist on the sea’s face,
and a gray dawn breaking.
I must go down to the seas again
for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call
That may not be denied
And all I ask is a windy day
with the white clouds flying
And the flung spray and the blown spume
and the sea-gulls crying.
for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call
That may not be denied
And all I ask is a windy day
with the white clouds flying
And the flung spray and the blown spume
and the sea-gulls crying.
I must go down to the seas again
to the vagrant gypsy life
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way
where the wind’s like a whetted knife
And all I ask is a merry yarn
from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream
when the long trick’s over.
to the vagrant gypsy life
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way
where the wind’s like a whetted knife
And all I ask is a merry yarn
from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream
when the long trick’s over.
For a young girl who dreamed of the ocean, pirates, Narnia, and what ever great adventure was over the horizon, the "Call of the running tide" has always been a drum beat in my head that could not be silenced, punching up my wanderlust to 11 on clear winter days or that first hot day that signals summer is right around the corner. For a little bit I am going to answer the call and embrace the gypsy life and see how it all turns out.
I hope you enjoy following along, I know I am going to enjoy going.
Great first blog. I'm looking forward to reading more.
ReplyDelete